Distance Learning - Using the BIRT Integration APIs
Who Should Attend?
Developers, Project Mangers and Integrators
Prerequisites:Course Cancellation Policy
Students should be experienced Java programmers with practical knowledge of BIRT Report Designer and the Eclipse IDE.
Distance Learning is the web-based delivery vehicle for Actuate technical training. Using
LiveMeeting, students can remotely attend our regional classes. Distance Learning students will see and hear the instructor's presentations, participate in class discussions and can share their desktops with the instructor when needed. Students receive the course materials and instructions on how to join the web session the week before the class start date.
This BIRT training course provides a fast start for developers interested in building and deploying reporting in their Java applications. The course includes extensive coverage of advanced scripting with BIRT reports, as well as using the BIRT Java APIs to embed BIRT reports in Java applications. The Eclipse-based development environment is used throughout the course.
Using a highly interactive, instructor led format, students are able to quickly leverage the BIRT technology to solve the reporting challenges in their applications without time-consuming trial-and-error experimentation. This class is essential for the developer looking to quickly come up to speed with BIRT and integrate it into their application.
By the end of this course, developers will have mastered the skills to:
- Customize the report-generation process
- Control both the run phase and render phase of the report engine.
- Incorporate complex business logic in their reports
- Add reporting capabilities to a Java application
- Create report designs programmatically
Students learn these programming concepts by working through exercises and reviewing sample code. Each student receives a workbook, which contains all the exercises students will complete in class.
- Developing reports with Scripted Data Sources
- Writing and debugging reports with Java Event Handlers
- Creating report documents, running and rendering reports in HTML and PDF using Report Engine API
- Extracting data from BIRT reports using Report Engine API
- Obtaining report parameter definitions using Report Engine API
- Creating and modifying BIRT reports using Design Engine API
- Creating and rendering charts using Chart Engine API