Rapid deployment, advanced features and full compatibility with open source BIRT and Actuate’s commercial BIRT iHub
San Mateo, Calif., January 7, 2014 – Actuate Corporation (NASDAQ: BIRT), The BIRT Company™ and the leader in personalized analytics and insights, today announced immediate availability of the new BIRT Viewer Toolkit™ – a free companion product to open source BIRT – designed for developers and ISVs. The BIRT Viewer Toolkit (BVT) allows developers to speed integration of BIRT visualizations and reporting capabilities into their own applications. BVT is developed and supported by Actuate, and is a commercial-quality alternative to the sample viewer that is already included in the open source BIRT distribution.
BIRT developers can immediately deploy the BIRT Viewer Toolkit within a Java application server, and thereby offer end users a variety of features including the ability to view, save, link to, print and export reports in CSV, XML, HTML, AFP, PostScript and PDF; as well as in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. BVT also shows a report’s built-in table of contents, offers parameter collection features including a date picker and multi-page navigation, and handles content hyperlinking.
BIRT Viewer Toolkit offers the following functionality not available in the existing open source BIRT sample viewer:
- Deployment of WAR and EAR file-types that are common to Java applications
- Faster document linking and navigation within and outside reports via URL adapter
- Improved parameter user interface and display such as the date picker user interface
- Easier export of content & data to multiple formats, without need to re-execute reports
- Easier document sharing via new “link to report” URL-embedding capability
BIRT Viewer Toolkit also shares the same core capabilities as the existing open source sample viewer:
- Code-level customization and branding so BIRT reports adopt the organization’s own brand identity
- The ability to view transient reports and generate persistent reports that are saved manually to a custom repository
- Uses the file system as repository for storing resources
- Ability to navigate through multipage reports
- Ability to view static reports and cross tabs
Fully compatible with Actuate’s commercial BIRT iHub 2 and BIRT iHub 3
BIRT Viewer Toolkit is compatible with Actuate’s commercial product line powered by the BIRT iHub™ platform. Organizations using open source BIRT turn to Actuate’s commercial products when their project development outpaces the feature set of open source BIRT, and the need for scalability and security becomes mission critical. BIRT iHub supercharges BIRT content by instantly scaling to hundreds or thousands of users. BIRT iHub offers extreme security, enhanced scheduling and effective report storage. It also eases the management of any volume, variety and velocity of data, offering metadata, data integration and caching operations in a centralized server environment for use by multiple reports, dashboards and applications, even for Big Data projects. BIRT iHub also features more than 250 plug and play HTML5 objects and animations.
Please download the free BIRT Viewer Toolkit here:
For a free trial of BIRT iHub 3, please visit http://www.actuate.com/resources/product-downloads/#ihub