Benchmark Based on Client Requirements Underscores Actuate’s Superiority in Scale and Performance
SSan Mateo, Calif., February 2, 2012 – Actuate Corporation (NASDAQ: BIRT), the people behind BIRT® and the leader in open source business intelligence (BI), today announced the results of a recent benchmark proving that ActuateOne can scale to handle the preparation and delivery of over 40 million monthly statements. Performance, reliability and predictable linear scalability are hallmark strengths of Actuate-based solutions, characteristics that have taken on greater importance as clients manage and harness their current and future ‘Big Data’ challenges.
The benchmark was based on requirements faced by a client with extraordinary time to market pressures in making month-end statements available to its growing global community of 40 million customers. Their existing system involved a multi-step process that took over two weeks to complete and would not be able to keep pace with their growth trajectory. The challenge was presented to Actuate with three key considerations:
- Reduce the data preparation time: Data from CSV files was directly loaded into Actuate bypassing a data warehouse to significantly reduce data preparation time.
- Deliver exceptional response time to every user: Actuate absorbed the usage spike that occurs when statements are first made available to end users, delivering exceptional response times to each and every user no matter when they accessed the system.
- Support real-world considerations: Actuate demonstrated scale as the distribution of users, statement sizes and formats along with the associated transaction sizes grew to support a user population growing from 4 million to 40 million, and then ultimately to 200 million. The benchmark focused on supporting 40 million user accounts and demonstrating that the architecture can grow simply by adding resources to meet the long term target.
The results of the benchmark proved that Actuate not only delivered upon these goals, but it also decreased the overall start-to-finish window by consuming only a fraction of the data preparation window, reducing the overall delivery window from seven days to less than two while allowing the client to provide incredible levels of service to their customers.
- Actuate built a modular, elastic 40 million user system that can linearly grow five-fold;
- Given a 5 day window, Actuate processed the 4.2 billion records of data in 69 minutes;
- Given a peak hour load of 439,000 users, Actuate served 475,000 users at 80% capacity;
- Caching operation beat goal by 99%;
- Viewing operation exceeded goal by 8%;
“This study demonstrates Actuate’s sweet spot: to deliver extraordinary and predictable scalability to our clients, while maintaining the performance of every piece of hardware added to the architecture,” said Nobby Akiha, SVP Marketing at Actuate. “With the ability to scale from 40 million users to 200 million users simply by adding processing power, we have demonstrated that we are the best equipped to handle our clients’ needs and grow with their success.”
To learn more about superior scalability with ActuateOne go to: www.actuate.com/40mbenchmark.