BIRT Mobile Viewer Delivers Rich, Interactive Content For Enterprise Users on the iPhone
San Mateo, Calif. – March 9, 2010 – Actuate Corporation (NASDAQ: ACTU), the people behind BIRT™, today announced the availability of the BIRT Mobile Viewer. The free download is a native iPhone application, available on the iPhone App Store. BIRT, an eclipse-based development environment for presenting compelling data visualizations on the web, can be accessed via BIRT onDemand on a fee-free trial basis. Together the BIRT Mobile Viewer and BIRT OnDemand or a BIRT iServer, which generates and deploys BIRT content to various devices securely in a scheduled manner, enable iPhones, iPod touch and in the future, iPad users to view and work with BIRT content anywhere.
A growing mobile workforce has generated demand for access to enterprise information on handheld devices including the popular iPhone, wherever decisions are made: in the local retail store or bank branch, on the assembly line or on the road. With BIRT Mobile Viewer, users get an extended rich interactive application experience for their work-related data that stretch beyond the confines of an office or Internet connection, making critical information immediately available.
“Apple’s iPhone deserves credit for setting a new standard in delivering content and collaboration applications to an increasingly mobile workforce. With increased smartphone adoption, enterprises like Actuate are moving quickly to bring their solutions to the new desktop,” said Michael Fauscette, Group Vice President, Software Business Solutions, IDC. “By accessing the combination of a highly interactive user interface, location awareness and native functionality, enterprise users can experience desktop visibility and increased productivity while they’re away from the office.”
With BIRT Mobile Viewer, users can access and control BIRT generated content on the iPhone.
Key features include:
- The same BIRT content that desktop users see on the web can be delivered directly to the iPhone without modification. iPhone users can browse, select and view any BIRT content
- The BIRT Mobile Viewer for iPhone adheres to iServer full security rules to content viewed on the iPhone so users will see only what they are entitled to see
- Users can change viewing parameters and data filters for BIRT content on the fly – directly from their iPhone so they can switch the context and focus to address their needs
- Content is fully orientation aware and will rotate from portrait to landscape views as you turn the device - BIRT content can be flagged for default portrait or landscape viewing mode to ensure optimal viewing
- Users can simply tap links and charts in BIRT content to drill to more granular views of summarized information
- Shake the device to return to the home screen at any time
- Easy to configure settings page with a set of universally applicable examples to get started
“Our customer’s end users are increasingly mobile in their work environments, and BIRT Mobile Viewer on the iPhone is a major breakthrough in addressing the trend toward accessing interactive enterprise information in a mobile environment,” said Nobby Akiha, senior vice president of marketing at Actuate. “BIRT Mobile Viewer extends BIRT-based data visualizations to the iPhone in an easy digestible form so users get their personalized productivity environment in the palm of their hand. It is also very easy to try and I encourage all iPhone users to visit BIRT-Exchange Marketplace to see it for themselves.”
For more information on BIRT Mobile Viewer and to understand how you can get started visit: http://www.birt-exchange.com/iPhone